When me and Jon were at home last week my mum made this great Beef stew. I'm not sure which recipe book she got the recipe from but it was a Parker's Beef Stew and it was yummy. So I thought I would share the recipe she used.
2.5lbs steak (cut in to chunks)
1 bottle red wine
1tspn lazy garlic (3 crushed cloves)
3 bay leaves
Fresh Rosemary (3/4 sprigs)
5 ounces baco (chopped)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 onions (chopped)
1.5lbs carrots (chopped)
1.5lbs potatoes (chopped)
14.5 ounces beef stock
1 small jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil (chopped or a tin of tomatoes if you prefer)
2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
10 ounce frozen peas
salt and pepper
1. Place beef, garlic. bay leaves and red wine in a covered bowl. Chill overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
2. After that brown bacon in olive oil in frying pan. When browned place in a large casserole.
3. In a bowl mix flour and a little salt and pepper. Take steak out of bowl and cover in flour mix until well coated. Discard bay leaves.
4. In frying pan add a little more oil and fry the steak in batches until golden (but not completely cooked) then add to casserole.
5. Pre-heat oven to 160 (or equivalent). Fry onions, carrots and potatoes in oil for around 10 minutes on a medium heat stirring well, place in casserole
6. Add the wine mixture (from bowl), beef stock, tomatoes and rosemary to frying pan (scraping any segments from the bottom into the juice, to add to the taste) Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-4mins.
7. Pour over the casserole and mix. Cook in oven for 2 hours, stir once or twice during cooking.
8. When cooked mix 2 ladles of juice from casserole with 2tbsp of flour then mix back in to stew. Add peas and cook for a further 5mins. Add s&p to taste and serve.
Hope you enjoy it!