Monday 16 August 2010

My new icon.

Ok so she isn't a fashionist as such, she isn't an actress or party girl, she isn't a designer or blogger, she doesn't work for Elle or Vogue but she is a Journalist! She is Hadley Freeman! Ok so being a qualified Journalist should mean I keep up to date with the newspapers and stuff but sadly I don't. So it was only last week that I found the genius Hadley Freeman. She writes an 'Ask me' section in the Guardian which is all about fashion related questions. I loved the piece I read last week (in a discarded paper in the pub!) on Brenton Tops and Playsuits. Oh her words of wisdom were so true to me, my ideas, my life and I suspect many true fashion bloggers.

I had put off doing this post as I had worried I would have to re-type her whole article myself! And that was just far too much effort but luckily I thought to check out the Guardian website and found that all her articles are available online! Yay!

So here is the piece that led me to her.
I apologise if this is a long wordy post, but I think I should share these kinda things!

Breton tops. Everywhere. Why?

John Crisp, by email

It's. Very. Simple. For about the past year or so, the French ingénuelook has become what we in the business call "very big", although with respect to my fashion colleagues and our lingua franca, this term is actually completely inappropriate here because a major part of this look's appeal has been that French ingénues tend to be très petite. But it's Monday morning, let's not get all linguistically clever-clever, OK?

This all started when everyone in the world became obsessed with how the staff at French Vogue dress. Yes, everyone: me, John Crisp, Ann Widdecombe – everyone. Even if you and Ann didn't know it on a conscious level, John, on a subconscious level you were totally gripped by the way French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld gets her hair so straight, and how the fashion editor Emanuelle Alt gets the shoulders of her Balmain jacket that sharp. But while Balmain has now been deemed "a bit 2009" (ew!) and most people have revealed that flat hair looks good on pretty much no one, the French Vogue Furore (as it shall be known in history books) has passed on to be replaced by a perennial obsession with how the staff of American Vogue dress. But I digress.

The point is, the one lasting legacy of the French Vogue Furore has been the popularity of the Breton top. This is surprising on several levels. First, it's kinda weird that the denizens of French Vogue wear Breton tops as that is surely like Anna Wintour wearing an "I Heart NY" T-shirt (which, to my knowledge, she doesn't). But it is not for this humble column to suggest how the French Voguettes should roll.

More surprising has been how much the rest of the world and its mother loves the Breton. Everyone from Céline to Zara (which, I should stress, are brands, not friends of mine) has knocked out a Breton this summer, and the people are buying them.

Now, sure, they're very chic in that Gallic way – I can vibe with that (as they probably don't say at French Vogue). But while I have little patience with fashion rules as a whole, there are some that are stamped indelibly on my soul:

1. Double denim is the uniform of the devil

2. Uggs are the footwear of Satan

3. Horizontal stripes make one look like the Michelin Man crossed with a test pattern.

The first two remain clearly true. The third has been consistently disproven to me by the many young ladies in this country whom I see wearing the Breton top with aplomb. But I – I just cannot. I do try, but whenever I put it on and prepare to leave the flat, I pass a mirror and the words "Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man" echo in my cranium. And then it's back to the plain Gap T-shirt for me. But I always was more Sharon Stone than French Vogue, I guess.

Have playsuits peaked?

Penny, by email

Sadly, yes. This is a tragedy for those of us who have been working the playsuit for years, with it possibly constituting the hardest work we've done in that time period. And now, after years of general neglect, the floral playsuit has become this summer's little floral dress, meaning it is the ubiquitous festival uniform and, thus, ruined for us loyalists by overkill. For example, let me tell you a fascinating story about me.

So I went to a festival a few weeks ago and found myself, as one often does at a festival, standing in a queue. Behind me were two young ladies who were talking extremely loudly about "facking Londoners" (the festival was in London) and "facking festivals" (we were at a festival) and how facking hilarious it was last night when "facking Stuart" got so "facking munted". (I do not know what this means, but it sounded unpleasant.) Drawn to the horror, in the way one cannot help but look at a squashed pigeon in the road, I turned around. They could well have been a decade younger than me but it was hard to tell beneath the three inches of foundation on their faces. I am sure they each had three cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, but that may be poetic memory licence, but they definitely both had massive tattoos on at least one shoulder. Worst of all, they were both wearing playsuits.

Dear reader, I got home that night and threw out my extensive collection of playsuits, and when I say "threw out", I mean put them in the back of the closet until certain images faded from my mind.

Like the maître d' in Ferris Bueller, I weep for the future.

Find all her articles here if you would like to read some more!

Sorry for the lack of outfit posts, I shall do some soon, I promise!
Daisymay X

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

11 comments:

  1. This was interesting to read, because of the information and because it's nicely written.

    I've always loved stripped tops and bought a few items with this pattern (I had no idea it was called Breton). I always feel like the Michelin Man when I put them on, but I don't know, striped clothes look so good in those slender models that I feel temped. So I buy get them, hardly ever wear them to leave the house; they end up being my PJs.

    And it's funny, because right now I'm wearing a striped sweater and leg warmers, haha! I'd take a picture to show you, but I look like hell without make-up ... maybe tomorrow.

    Hope you're having a nice day! It says "Monday" on top of your post; it's only Sundat 8:56PM here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only just recently found myself in the possession of the striped top, but I quickly went from zero to seven, in no time at all.

    I even was bold enough to try out the playsuit. Too bad they are 'out' already...

    Thanks for sharing these fun and witty responses.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and you're still up! Hope you don't have to wake up early. Here it's a public holiday tomorrow =), I'll catch up with the letters I need to write and the grocery shopping. I might go have some tea in a nice coffee shop, too to reward myself ... for what? I don't know, haha.

    Super tight hug!

    Miki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love hadley's style, it doesn't take things too seriously while avoiding seeming flippant :)

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. I always feel ridiculous in striped tops, but I keep telling myself that's because I haven't found the "right one". It has NOTHING to do with the horizontal stripes and my generous bust, of course. I just need the "right" shirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha even though I don't agree on everything I like her writing style. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome post ! i like the way she writes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post;) kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read a blog the other day where a girl talked about buying highly coveted and bought items and putting them away until the popularity had died down. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. please leave comments as they really make my day, and I try to visit every one of your blogs too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails