I'm hoping now that I am back blogging and started to get my time management and writing stuff in order that I will be able to post more recipe posts too. (generally I hope to be able to post more of everything, not much to ask, lol) But there is a specific reason behind this one. Down in Cardiff (and in other places across the UK) the co-op are helping schools and community groups raise money and awareness of healthy eating by providing fruit and veg bags for sale to the community. I am now buying bags weekly from a local school in the hope of eating more healthily and cooking more fresh foods (as well as being less wasteful and more ecologically friendly). So every week I will be looking for and cooking a new veg based dish to use up the items I have in the bags, which will be different every week depending on the season.
So this week I decided to try a recipe out of the Greek Cooking book I had for christmas. I didn't have any meat in the house and didn't want to go out for extra ingredients so found a Courgette and Potato Bake recipe that I figured I could adapt to use the veg I had.
Here is the original recipe: (it feeds 4 as main course or 6 as a side dish)
3 garlic cloves
1 large pepper
400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml virgin olive oil
150ml hot water
1 tsp oregano
3 tbsp fresh parsley
salt and pepper
I altered it slightly (ok a fair bit) and decided to cut the recipe down to feed 2 (or just me)
So I used:
half and onion
half a pepper
1 celery stick
1 garlic clove
half a tin of chopped tomatoes
Chopped mixed herbs
It's a super easy meal to make.
- Pre-heat oven to 190 C/ 375 F/Gas 5
- Chop all the veg and place them in a overproof dish. Add the water, oil, herbs and chopped tomatoes and mix it all up well.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and add a bit more water and stir it all well to stop veg sticking to the pan (my potatoes did just a little) Return to oven for another 45mins (recipe said an hour but mine was done in 45mins)
- Remove and serve either as a dish on it's own with some salad or as a side dish.
It was really yummy, super easy and very healthy - plus cheap!
I totally loved it and did manage to eat the whole bowl for my dinner
Do you have any great veg recipes I can try out? I really want to experiment more with my food this year and these bags are giving me the perfect opportunity to.