Monday 6 September 2010

The so not worth it 'IT' bag!

After my last post on copycat fashion I was inspired to write this post about a boho bag which costs £1,340! Yes you read that right a single boho bag for £1,340 (and it's not even a designer I know!! but maybe thats just me). The new must have designer bag for lots of celebs is the Simone Camille Boho Bag. It has been seen on Nicole Riche, Miley Cyrus and Julia Roberts, to name just a few. All the bags are one-of-a-kind and most are made from vintage materials (so she says). Ok I understand that a lot of work has gone into these bags but are they really worth that much money? How does someone come up with a price for such an item, "think of a number and add a zero" that'll do?!?! What exactly gives this bag such worth?




(images via allhandbagfashion.com)

Now don't get me wrong these bags are beautiful but the whole boho bag thing was hippyish and often made from indian fabric and as far as I remember the whole point of them was that they were cheap (or cheap ish). I'm pretty sure I owned something incredibly similar in my teens which I picked up at 'Gringo' in Swansea. And a number of people have said that there are so many stalls selling similar items for a few quid in places like India and Thailand. It is completely preposterous that people are willing to spend that much on a boho bag when there are so so many stores selling bags very similar for a fraction of the cost.
Accessorize for instance has been selling these kind of bags for years, whether they were in fashion or not, it's almost a trade mark idea for the store. The whole gypsy, boho bag with the sequins, beads and embroidery in beautiful bright coloured fabrics is the norm when you walk into the store.

After the whole copycat post I actually went on the hunt for a designer replica of this bag but I didn't manage to find any (yet!). I was actually surprised that there are very few boho hippy bags on the market at the moment, but it's probably because we are coming to the end of the summer, and these are kinda summery, or because stores have yet to produce anything inspired by this 'It bag', so maybe give it time and the market will be flooded by boho bag. I did find a few though which to me are just as nice and are a tiny fraction of the cost. And all of these lovelies are from Accessorize and range between £30 and £65. I would much rather one of these than blow a £1000 on one of hers.






So ladies do you really think a bag like that is worth so much money? If you had that kind of money would you really buy a boho style bag or are you more likely to buy something more like a leather bag in a style that will stay in fashion for longer (an investment piece I suppose)? Whats you thoughts? Do you rather the cheaper ones?

If you haven't read my post on copycat fashion yet you can see it here. It was last weeks Friend Friday topic.

Daisymay X

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you chick, but tbh I think that about every designer bag, dress, coat etc, and can't understand why people would spend that much money on one item. Having said that if I had the money (if I was super rich) I'd probably splurge too xxx

    http://my-favourite-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely not worth that much money!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! How can someone spend that much money on such a bag!? Well, I guess when you're rich you please every little craving, but it seems excessive judging by the pictures.

    Indian fabric here is very expensive; there's an Argentine clothing store which sells lovely pieces made with imported fabric from there. They have a Boho style and their collection look pretty much the same every season. www.rapsodia.com.ar

    Hope you're having a great day, Chantele! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently, I can't justify that much on a bag, even though it is goregous, but in the future if i was working hard, maybe as a treat, although i kinda feel bad when you see people in poverty and you've spent twice a persons rent on a bag!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly don't think I could ever justify spending that much on a bag! The cheaper ones look great anyway :)

    L x

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we're talking a serious investment, I typically go for classic pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my that is totally over priced bag! i not gonna buy a bag like that esp if others are actually selling the original ones that are less expensive. thanks for sharing these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree. From past experience, I can tell this is the type of bag is the type that will disintegrate immediately. Never spend big $ on that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I agree. My rule is that I only buy bags that cost the same or less than then amount of money I might have in it at any given time. It's worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are beautiful but really who can afford these bags?
    I bought a bag from this shop miyabags, I love it! They are a very similar kind of thing and much more affordable
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/miyabags

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. please leave comments as they really make my day, and I try to visit every one of your blogs too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails