Wednesday 21 November 2012

We'll miss you ....

Today's post is a bit of a hard one. Yesterday I got a phone call off my mum to tell me, our little Alfie, our family Westie had had to be put down. He had been a little under the weather for the last few months, although he hadn't really been in pain, he had stopped being able to eat properly, he couldn't climb the stairs or jump onto the bed or sofa, and his hearing was pretty bad. So when he started to have trouble walking yesterday my parents took him to the vets where they said his nervous system was starting to fail and it would be kinder to let him go.

  He has been our family pet since I was 11, so even though I have lived away from home for the past 6 years, I still consider him my dog. He was the sweetest, cutest, funniest animal I have ever meet. He was 14 and had had an amazing life, being totally adored and spoilt by our entire family, neighbours and friends - who all loved him as much as we did. He had mannerisms that were almost human, and little character quirks that made him so comical and gave him such a distinctive personality. If you had ever meet him I assure you you would have loved him and remember him.

He was such a huge part of all our lives, and loved nothing more than to have a cwtch on the sofa (although if my dad was home the rest of us didn't get a look in usually). Walkies were a massive thing, every evening at 9:50pm, if dad was home, Alf would get up (some cases wake up, even) and start pestering dad, climbing all over him, nuzzling him, getting all excited. If dad said ok or got up Alf would dash to the living room door and sit there, or bounce around until some one opened the door and opened the bottom draw of the telephone table. He would then get his own lead out and put it at one of our feet to put it on, then sit at the front door with it in his mouth until Dad was ready to walk him. This became a little trick when we had guests.

We are all going to miss him hugely, but here are a few photos to show off just how pretty and cute he was.
 He even dressed up for out wedding, and my family photos in the morning
 He liked to sleep on the sofa
 But kept a lookout on the garden incase of invading birds, cats or squirrels 
 He liked blankies and sleeping on my sisters bed.
 Or under blankies on the sofa. He could often be found like this in the evening
 Or like this!
When he got older he got carried about, a lot! He wash't a fan of the snow. He spent a lot of time in my sisters arms.
 He wasn't actually to pleased with this christmas bandana
 He was a bit of a poser! And loved the camera.

 But most of all he loved to be comfy and cozy!

We'll miss you Alf and we'll never forget you. Love you always!



 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

15 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you!
    He is so sweet! :(

    http://laceandchiffonblog.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was such a beautiful dog! I'm so sorry, I know exactly what you're going through - mine died last month and even though he was old and kind of sickly it was a bit of a shock. Are you getting a new dog?

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yep my parents will be having a new puppy, its too weird without a dog in the house! They are waiting for a little English Cocker Spaniel to have his jabs but we should have him before xmas!

      Delete
  3. I'm so incredibly sorry and saddened for your loss. I'll be honest and tell you I'm sat here now and my eyes are full of tears. I have two Labradors and they are my entire world, they too are at the later end of life & I know it's getting closer to the day when we'll have to say goodbye, I can't even let myself think about it. This post must have been incredibly difficult and emotional for you to write but I hope you've found comfort in doing so and having a look through all your photos will hopefully reignite memories and make you smile, you will always have those and that's very special :) he is an absolutely beautiful dog. I can imagine he will be hugely missed by everyone who knew him. xxx

    www.hannahsbow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry. We lost out dog 3 years ago and I still miss him.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Chantele, I'm so sorry to hear this! Hope you and the family are ok xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so, so sorry! I've lost my long-time friend, an Airedale terrier almost 8 years ago and it still hurts like it was yesterday. Loosing a dog is really hard, it's so unfair that their lives are so much shorter then ours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a loss, i am so sorry. i completely understand your descriptions of his unique personality, my mother has one (and used to have 2!) and boy is he something else!!! i love the photos you shared, they are so wonderful!!!
    alf will always be watching over you all...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. take it easy, pets become a huge part of our lives. sad, but you'll never forget

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, so sad to read this post. He was really cute and I feel for you and your family, as I am certain he is very much missed.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, so sad to read this post. He was really cute and I feel for you and your family, as I am certain he is very much missed.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet girl, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. This post brought tears to my eyes. He was such a cutie pie and obviously one of the family members. lots of love

      Delete
  11. Oh, what a cute little dog Alfie was! I'm so sorry to know this, Chantele! :( I got teary eyed reading the post and going through the photos. Pets are such an important part of our lives! I'm glad to know he was put down before suffering, though, that's the most humane thing to do. I can see how loved and spoilt he was :p and I'm sure he loved you guys a lot!

    Tight hugs! Hope you're doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also used to have a Westie called George. After I left for uni, my mum had to give him away because she wasn't able to look after him anymore, and I was devastated, but it can't be anything on loosing a pet. When I get sad, I can take some comfort in knowing he is well looked after. I know what you mean about their funny little character traits, and the wedding photo is just too precious! I hope you feel better about things soon, sorry for your loss xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. please leave comments as they really make my day, and I try to visit every one of your blogs too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails