Friday 19 August 2011

Friend Friday - Self Employment

It's Friday already, my gosh where has this week gone! I seem to have crammed so much in this week. I saw a Chinese acrobatic/ballet performance of Swan Lake, co-hosted a hen party at my flat (with a naked butler) and am off to another hen party now. Will bring you pictures after the weekend.

So as it's Friday I thought I would do this weeks Friend Friday post. This week we are discussing self-employment and taking the plunge to go it alone. Find all the other ladies participating over on Modly Chic.
1. Fess up - if you could do anything professionally what would it be?
I'd just like to be able to ditch all my normal day jobs and work full time as a freelance writer. I am slowly getting there, I have 3 monthly writing jobs now so hopefully I will be able to do it soon.

2. What draws you to this?
It's all I've wanted to do since I was 15. I have this creative urge that I simply have to let out, and I find writing is my best outlet.

3. When did you first start dreaming about this?
As I said above I was about 15 when I decided I wanted to be a writer. It was after reading so many fashion magazine I decided this is what I wanted to do with my life. But it wasn't until I went to uni that I decided I wanted to be a freelance writer instead of working in a specific magazine office. I liked the idea of the freedom of working for many publications and being able to write about a range of topics.

4. What's holding you back from going all in?
Money! In all honesty it's just the financial side. I don't make enough from my writing to cover everything so sadly I still have to do my day job/jobs. If I had a nice pot of savings then I may just go for it, but I don't. If I can just get a few more paid jobs on board then I will do it!

5. Sometimes the first step is the hardest...what's one step you can take now on the way to realising your dream?
Just to get out there and get my name know by more of the local press, and network, network, network!!

So what is your dream career? Have you taken the plunge to go freelance?

Daisymay X



 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

13 comments:

  1. My dream profession is to be a nutritionist, working mainly with teenagers/young people. It's just the money holding me back as well, but I'm considering to start studying part time online. Seems like you've started the journey towards your dream goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to live your dream x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you're on your way. The money thing is always a factor, but as someone who kind of threw that out the window recently, it might not be as big an issue as you originally thought. Or it could be.... Anyway, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becoming full-time freelance is SO difficult. But you are going about it in the right way... it's a slow process of building of a client base. And you are so right - it is ALL about networking. I've gotten more gigs from people who know people than off pitches and job offerings. Good luck! - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for writers! Yes, finances are always one of the biggest hurdles of pursuing a passion. Good thing about being a writer is that it's a needed skill so there will always be a demand :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I went back to school several years ago an older student (even older than me) asked me if I could make the same money I was making now doing my dream job, would I do it? I immediately said yes, but still am in my non-dream-but-I-enjoy-it job. While money is certainly a huge factor, it's not the only thing.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Freelancing has become one of the steps to my dream job! Like you, I also find that finances are too little to do anything more. For me, building up my writing portfolio is also a challenge because of my other profession. It looks like you're a lot closer to your dream though (having 3 monthly writing jobs isn't too shabby)...and that's always something to look forward to.

    -Pheobe-pballoonjournal2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the same dream.... =) And the same bangs. Which makes us almost like sisters! love! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos for going for it! I freelanced for years and loved it. I loved having control over my schedule, not having anyone to look over, I could take of myself quite well... Ah but the money, it took a while to make it but once I established a name for myself, the work was steady. In fact, I rarely had to look for it. Work hard now, get yourself out there and you'll reap the rewards eventually. Don't give up!
    :) f
    The House in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've tried working freelance for living - it was great, but also my money was very tight(( So now I have to juggle it, like lots of other peiople - day job+freelance projects.

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you will live your dream, just don't give up and keep writing! Opportunities will come by. All the best!

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. please no pictures of the butler ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you will live your dream :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. please leave comments as they really make my day, and I try to visit every one of your blogs too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails